Having been a customer myself all these years, this topic highlights the true fact that every individual has varying expectations, and thus different perceptions.
As future service providers, I have learnt that we should constantly take note that with a different individual or situation, we need to be flexible and change our methods of handling customers and their situations.
In the past, there were times I did not go the extra mile to ensure that customers were ideally satisfied – the unexpected fulfillments of unsaid desires.
In fact, I am guilty of a mistake that I made. Once, I was in the airport doing service work during my Changi Youth Ambassadors duty, and I was too tired and rushing for time. Due to that, I did not pay close attention to the passenger. After handling her first few questions and requests, I unintentionally cut her conversation halfway and concluded her requests.
In the future however, if I ever do meet customers who have been unhappy at the service they received, I know that it is important to realise that prompt service recovery is needed in order to ensure that the customers will experience a turning point and become satisfied.
Also, there is a tendency for customers’ complaints. In the F&B industry, where I briefly worked in once last year, it was an everyday regular happening when we received feedback forms on both the service and product. However, we knew the feedback was meant for improvement, as their comments were honestly, useful. We welcomed these feedbacks and aside from highlighting areas in which they wanted to see it better, they never did leave out compliments when appropriate.
As future service providers, I have learnt that we should constantly take note that with a different individual or situation, we need to be flexible and change our methods of handling customers and their situations.
In the past, there were times I did not go the extra mile to ensure that customers were ideally satisfied – the unexpected fulfillments of unsaid desires.
In fact, I am guilty of a mistake that I made. Once, I was in the airport doing service work during my Changi Youth Ambassadors duty, and I was too tired and rushing for time. Due to that, I did not pay close attention to the passenger. After handling her first few questions and requests, I unintentionally cut her conversation halfway and concluded her requests.
In the future however, if I ever do meet customers who have been unhappy at the service they received, I know that it is important to realise that prompt service recovery is needed in order to ensure that the customers will experience a turning point and become satisfied.
Also, there is a tendency for customers’ complaints. In the F&B industry, where I briefly worked in once last year, it was an everyday regular happening when we received feedback forms on both the service and product. However, we knew the feedback was meant for improvement, as their comments were honestly, useful. We welcomed these feedbacks and aside from highlighting areas in which they wanted to see it better, they never did leave out compliments when appropriate.

Of course, in order for the customers to know we have taken their comments in consideration, we should acknowledge their feedback, preferably with a written or verbal response.
For service encounters, I am reminded that the 7 deadly statements are ways of suggesting that customers are nothing but a burden to service providers. Publicly showing signs of exhaustion may also convey the “Can’t you see how tired am I? Please leave quickly so we can knock off!” message to customers.
Honestly speaking, I have had these thoughts, as much as I think others have, but I am also pleased to admit that I do make it a point to hide these gestures from the customers.